Sunday, February 23, 2014

Reflection of Teaching Highlights: Maximillian Cole and Marcos Hernandez







I had another peer coaching session with teachers: Maximillian Cole and Marcos Hernandez. If you been following this blog, you already experience some of the challenges they have faced as they tackle their first year of teaching. It’s always been a struggle to be a first-year teacher. First-year teachers must adapt to a new building and new co-workers and must begin taking all they've learned in college and putting it into lesson plans for real students in real classrooms. Seeing that we are passed the 100th day of school, I started to dive deeper in my questions to both Max and Marcos. We already had several coaching conservations prior in which I’ll reflect on later in this blog but I wanted these questions to focus more on the students and how they are seeking the support to facilitate some type of collaboration to meet the needs of their students. I asked Marcos and Max a series of four interview questions. This dialogue of this conversation is below:


Interview Questions for Marcos Hernandez


Q. What are the rewards you experience as a teacher?
A. I would say the biggest reward is being able to inspire and be a role model to my students especially since I am a Hispanic male and the demographics of the school is 97% Hispanic. I have made many lasting impressions on my students so far, and likewise, they have made many lasting impressions on me. It makes it easier to wake up with the enthusiasm to teach. My educational philosophy centers on molding their mind and I am happy to try my hardest to succeed. I also like the fact that I will be given the opportunity to watch them grow and mature as adults and my role serves as a critical piece in that process.
Q. What obstacles interfere with you achieving your professional goals?
A. My biggest obstacle right now is time management. Being a special education teacher, we are legally required to provide certain minutes of instruction but with my current caseload and all the work it encompasses, I feel sort of burned out already. Despite the circumstances, I push through the day giving my students my very best. We also are faced with various problems due to the result of limited financial resources so it requires extra work but I believe that will still fall under the issue of time management. I am provided with support from other staff and mentors but time seems to be one of the issues that we all need more off.
Q. What are your student’s strengths and weaknesses?
A. One of my students’ biggest strengths is they embrace the idea of learning and are very open-minded to trying new things. Many of them take the initiative and they don’t give up easily which is a good characteristic to have. I like their passion and grit so I am hoping we can continue this process throughout the whole school year. One of my students’ biggest weaknesses is retaining information that is taught. I find myself lately, reteaching the same concepts. I haven’t quite figure out why they aren’t making the necessary connections so I am still working on my strategies of improvement. After our SWOT analysis session, the following Monday, I had my students do a SWOT analysis of their learning so I am hoping to see big changes in their study habits. I think part of the problem is they see the content in school and never review the content until the next day when they come back to school. They need to work on their study skills at home.
Q. What kind of Professional Learning are most or least effective for you?
A. I believe all the professional learning I am receiving right now is very beneficial. I can take research, best practices, and newly acquired content back to the classroom to help me perfect my craft. I also found new strategies to reach some of my most troubled students so it has been very great. I am finding myself in the position to further collaborate with others and I am realizing this is making my teaching improve as well as providing me that extra push. My mentors are also very helpful providing their advice and best practices. I can’t believe I already made it pass the 100th day mark. This is a really tough job.


Interview Questions for Maximillian Cole 

Q. What are the rewards you experience as a teacher?
A. One of the biggest rewards I experienced as a first year teacher is being able to get a trouble cohort of students to work together as a community in my Freshman Seminar course. I’ve been encouraging my students to work together to foster their social development as they grow and develop their individual self. Through the activities we complete and the type of environment I instilled in my classroom allows support the creation of their social networks, and create friendships that could last a lifetime. I always make a point to also instill so my students can take social risks that are necessary in order to connect to other people who are much different than they are. Those risks will pay off in lasting friendships and a broadened cultural acceptance.
Q. What obstacles interfere with you achieving your professional goals?
A. One obstacle that I am facing is altering my classroom curriculum to align with the Common Core Standards in regards to our reading. It’s mandated and a new process for me so I am learning all that I can to also include those standards in my construction. I do have one particular group that will just not let me provide the type of instruction I want. It’s been a challenge keeping some of my students focused and motivated but I have been establishing and maintaining standards of discipline that I believe are growing my classroom management experiences.
Q. What are your student’s strengths and weaknesses?
A.  First, if it is ok, I’ll start with the weaknesses. My students’ greatest weakness is being consistent. One week I’ll have 100% homework turned in, great classroom participation, but by next week, those numbers are the total opposite. My student’s greatest strength which I noticed as a reflected on their coursework is that they are becoming more independent thinkers. I am getting diverse reflections. I have been using classroom surveys at the end of exams of Fridays and I like the idea that many of them are developing the independent thinking and providing diverse perspectives rather than sticking to the status quo.
Q. What kind of Professional Learning are most or least effective for you?
            A. The goal is to raise student achievement so I find all professional learning beneficial. Some of the guidelines expected aren’t realistic especially in my Freshman Seminar course, but I take back bits and pieces that I find will be helpful to my students as well as delivering my instructions in the classroom. It’s all pretty much learning through experience, reflecting on practices, and providing innovative practices that benefit students as well as me. I like that I can access various professional learning platforms online so it’s helpful to have access to the information when you need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment