Saturday, February 1, 2014

Welcome to the Blog: Schooling the Teachers



Greetings,

My name is Daniel Patterson. I started this blog as a class project in which I hope to encourage an online community of educators to share stories and provide me with your experiences in the field and help bring teacher collaboration to reality. Also, I get the opportunity to be a mentor to a first year teacher in whom also shared the same undergraduate experience with me. This blog will document our journey as we advance in the profession. Many people ask the question: How did you get involved in the teaching profession with such a political background? I’ll post my first philosophy of education that I wrote back in the year of 2008.

“A lot of people have often asked me why I chose to teach. Apparently they feel that I have so much potential to achieve, and I guess teaching is a waste of that potential. I have even been hassled for my career choice, and constantly made fun of because I will be "poor". I tell them that teaching isn't something you do for the money. I even go so far as to say that you don't plan your career around money, you plan it around what you love to do. If that job just so happens to make a lot of money then good, if not then do it anyway. That way you aren't stuck working a job you hate and inevitably become miserable. I mean they don't say "money can't buy happiness" just because it sounded good. It does have meaning to it as well. I have finally finished my philosophy of education, and I decided to post it in hopes that those who actually do read it can finally understand: why I chose this career, why it is more important than the money it brings, and why it is the best choice for me whether they can see it or not.

Education is the key to success. It is a never ending aspect of one’s life that is constantly built upon with each passing year. Anything built to last must of course have the proper foundation. That foundation begins at birth, and the cement is to be properly laid down by the parents. Parents are the first teachers; as a result it is their duty to instill within their child the proper knowledge needed to succeed scholastically as well as in other aspects of life. To better attain this goal, children should be brought up in an environment that encourages success and emphasizes the importance of education. When children begin attending school, the involvement of the parents doesn’t end, it should increase. Parents should encourage hard work and diligence as well as involvement in extra-curricular activities, allowing the student to become a more diversified individual.

Teachers should strive to make a personal and mental connection with the student. This will increase the willingness of the student to learn, and the speed at which learning progresses. The mental connection also provides for better understanding of the student and why he/she learns the way they do, ultimately bettering the teacher and the student. We as teachers must remember that, no matter the student’s status (mentally, socially, and/or economically), we are still teaching human beings with thoughts and feelings; people that are not to be defined by a statistic or a stereotype, but by their limitless capability to achieve in any and all fields if given the chance and the guidance. This is why diversity should be a prevalent factor in education; for not only students, but teachers and parents as well. Diversity brings with it expansive thinking. It teaches everyone it touches how to think outside of the box. It provides for a newer and better outlook on life, education, and society as a whole.

That being said it will be my job as a teacher to institutionalize a classroom environment that instills within them the importance of education, diversity, and success. I must continue to build upon what the parents have begun, because they can’t do it all by themselves. There is an old saying that says “it takes a village to raise a child”, and I intend to be a part of that village. Nothing is perfect in life and therefore nothing is perfect in education, but I intend to work arduously towards creating an educational system that is as close to perfect as possible. I will be the guide that the next generation needs to reach their full potential no matter what circumstances they have, because I know that they are the leaders of tomorrow and I want them to know it as well.”

Now, fast forward to year 2012. I served as a legislative intern in the Tennessee General Assembly, an AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer, and began my first year teaching as an instructional technology coordinator at West Pullman Elementary School. Everything I did seemed to involve teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment